Monday, January 20, 2003

Last evening I watched a good portion of the golden globes. I'm not sure why I have become an admirer of award shows and for the most part I picked it over the football game on the next channel. Maybe I'm coming down with something? Well I will not dwaddle on the reason why I choose to watch the show, but I'll rather give my impressions of what I saw and felt as if actually means anything in time and space of this planet. For the most part, the women were quite attractive they were not what drove me to watch.

The whole idea of actors and actresses being artists wedged into my brain and while some of them offer real talent I began to wonder how many of them could do a great job without a decent script. Maybe this line of thought began Saturday when we toyed with the idea of going to a movie, there are a couple I want to see, but the reviews gave me mixed feelings about seeing a couple and I knew my son wouldn't want to see Adaptation. While I read the reviews they all spoke about contrived plots, with the same hackneyed gags and jokes seen time and time again, subject to a twist of sophmoric humor done in. Now I'm someone who loved Dumb and Dumber and Uncle Buck so my sense of humor has some far reaching boundries, but don't we all tire of the same gags on the same subjects? Originality folks! And how do these actors and actresses make the same joke better or worse in different movies and if not humor who can someone pull off the same plot element seen a dozen times in a heart touching movie?

I've read enough books to know there are some writers in Hollywood that have formulas for writing screenplays. I'm sure they try with the orignial ideas they once had, but people are scared to invest a lot of money in an idea, whereas if you suggest a movie like, "Maid in Manhatten" or "Two Weeks Notice" how can you go wrong? I heard Nicole Kitman say in her acceptance speach to give women more complex roles, but movies that are complex people won't see. But they will flock to the same version of romance time after time, look at all the romance novels in the shelves of book stores. Even in the fantasy genre the same idea are regurgatated.

eek time to work...more later
me

No comments: