Saturday, October 04, 2003

I took today off. I was bad. Ran some errands, got my haircut and found my way to Barnes and Noble. Ah the sweet scent of books, coffee (well hot chocolate) and the melodic sounds of easy listening music piped overhead that tries to make you think your IQ raised a point just by entering the store. Its not a bad feeling. Sometimes I think it is the Temple for writers and I'm herre to offer my sacrifice. The gods inside have many treasures to explore, but they also expect certain pleasures to entertain them. I came empty handed today, but I vowed it won't be long before I can approach the altar with something worthwhile.

Anyways whilst I was there I found a writing book (yes I love reading about writing it is very inspirational to me) by Norman Mailer. Not that I have read much of his over the years, maybe one novel many years ago, but it wasn't that memorable. Not like Ender's Game or 1984 *grin*. He defines a novelist's muse as something other than a simple whim. He says poets and short-story writers have muse, while novelists have, "The Bitch".

I found this on a website tonight about the book:

"He likens novel writing to an obsession with a whore, “the Bitch”, he calls her. Young, ignorant writers think they have beaten the Bitch. “’I made her moan,’ they say. But the Bitch laughs afterward in her empty bed. ‘He was so sweet in the beginning, but by the end he just went ‘Peep, peep, peep.’” He says he nearly titled this book “I Made Her Moan,” but lost his nerve."

I've read so many books from authors and about writing that it all begins to sound the same. "Writer's write. And to write is to open your vein and pour your blood upon the page." Oh it is easy to write a scene or short description, but it takes real writing stanima to write a full length novel. I did a horrible job once, so I know a little of what that means. But like a marathon runner, I want to run it again. This blog amongst other things is starting to prepare me for the journey.

If anyone has a link or two they want me to post, please feel free to email me (Trist_on@hotmail.com) with it. And if it is somewhat worthy I'll be glad to add it to my links section.

I suppose....
Laters
me

No comments: