Friday, November 15, 2002

Okay I really need to start concentrating on longer things than just poetry. Heh I wrote one today because I was eatting chee-tos. Funny thing where your imagination starts with and which road it decides to travel. And I need to make more time at home. While at work I'm busy coding for everyone and all I can think about is how I wish I could be writing. After I get home, I dilly dally with the things that keep us busy and when everyone drifts into dreamland. Guess what I do! I play DAOC. (BTW I'm a beta tester for the new expansion!) The game, like EQ or even some muds gets to be repetitious and boring at times, but when I'm able to roleplay it can be a blast and the task of killing the same thing for the 80th time doesn't seem so dull. In the past I've had a tendency to over play games, but I'm focusing myself not to do that with this one. In reality, I should give it up and focus on things more important.

I was plunking around the Internet this morn and found a site of the top 50 places you should see before you die. I think I've seen 3 or 4 at the most. How disappointing! I want to change that. Give my life more of an adventerous tone to it. I think that will broaden my writing. Reading and writing will also do that, but I have that tattooed in my head.

Good or bad writing, like most artforms is subjective. Nat made a good point, but my point was is that I want it to be good enough for my own standards and I don't think I'm close to that yet. If I become satisfied with the quality or subject matter of my craft then where do I go from there? Wouldn't it be really cool to sit down with Shakespear and ask him what he thought? Before he drank himself into a stupor that is. I've read enough about writing that I can almost hear the words he would speak to me. Every writer in every writing book mentions the same things. Oh they all have little twists and turns some patterns of the art are more important to one or another. For example, Steven King hates the use of adverbs and for the most part I have to agree with his assessment. Not that I never use them, but I try to pick as many out as I can when I'm "really" writing. And if you have done ANY writing at all or remember back to the days of Freshman English, what is the first rule of a creative writer? Show! Don't Tell!

This weekend will be busy I think, but I am hoping I can dig up some of the things I have started in the past and begin either anew on a story or regain my touch on something previous. I must admit I'm at a lost for a novel/story idea, but I know there are many floating inside waiting to be plucked!

me

No comments: